INDERAL® LA (propranolol HCl) Long-Acting Capsules belongs to a class of drugs called beta-blockers. These drugs lower blood pressure (hypertension) by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. Beta-blockers cause the heart to beat more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. Beta-blockers also help blood vessels open up to improve blood flow.
INDERAL® LA is a long-acting form of propranolol. Propranolol has been in use since the late 1960s. INDERAL® LA was approved later and has been used to treat high blood pressure for over 25 years. INDERAL® LA offers a once-daily treatment option that releases propranolol at a controlled rate.
In addition to high blood pressure, INDERAL® LA is approved to treat angina pectoris, prevent migraine, and for a heart condition called hypertrophic subaortic stenosis. INDERAL® LA is not indicated in the management of hypertensive emergencies.
INDERAL® LA is available in 60, 80, 120, and 160 mg long-acting capsules.
Blood pressure is determined by the amount of blood your heart pumps and the amount of resistance to blood flow in your arteries. The more blood your heart pumps and the narrower your arteries, the higher your blood pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure can increase your risk for serious health problems like heart attack and stroke.
High blood pressure is a common condition. Millions of Americans suffer from it. Generally, high blood pressure develops over many years. Since there are usually no symptoms, you may not know that you have high blood pressure until you are diagnosed. Fortunately, there are treatment options.
Angina pectoris is the medical term for chest pain or discomfort usually due to coronary artery disease. It occurs when the heart muscle doesn’t get as much blood, and therefore as much oxygen, as it needs. This usually happens because one or more of the heart’s arteries has narrowed or is blocked. During a typical angina attack, a person feels uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing, or pain in the center of the chest. This discomfort may also be felt in the neck, jaw, shoulder, back, or arm.
Angina is a signal that the heart needs more blood. Exercise, strong emotions, or extreme temperatures can trigger an angina attack. Some people, such as those who experience coronary artery spasm, may have an angina attack even when they’re resting.
High blood pressure can have severe health consequences. The higher your blood pressure and the longer it goes uncontrolled, the more severe these consequences can be. High blood pressure is a risk factor for the following conditions, as well as others:
- Heart attack
Please consult with your healthcare provider for further information on the consequences of high blood pressure.
In addition to taking your blood pressure medication as directed, you can make the following changes to your lifestyle to help control your condition:
- Eat healthy foods.
- Reduce your intake of salt.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Increase your physical activity.
- Limit the amount of alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Monitor your blood pressure.
Please consult with your healthcare provider for more information on changes to your lifestyle.
As with all prescription medications, you should follow your healthcare provider’s guidance when taking INDERAL® LA. Here are some important tips for taking INDERAL® LA:
- Take one capsule of INDERAL® LA daily. Do not take more than one capsule daily without your healthcare provider’s knowledge and direction.
- Do not stop taking INDERAL® LA without consulting with your healthcare provider first. Some patients who suddenly stop taking INDERAL® LA may be at increased risk of chest pain or heart attack.
- Let your healthcare provider and pharmacist know about all of the other medications you are taking (prescription and non-prescription drugs) before starting INDERAL® LA.
- Make sure your healthcare provider knows your medical history. INDERAL® LA is not recommended for patients who have been previously diagnosed with a certain type of arrhythmia or with bronchial asthma or COPD.
- Store your INDERAL® LA in a cool, dry place where it will be secure.